Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Simple

I remember a conversation with the Vargas on the mission.  We were talking about potential and who we are.  She said that her friend (Amy?) was good at organizing and planning, and would do great in business or something like that.  I said something about feeling like I have the potential to be that kind of person, but that I choose to be...and she said "You're simple," and said that I choose to be that way. It was true then, and it's true now.  I don't need or even want so many of the things that are viewed as necessary in my society.

I think that several things are contributing to my re-committing to simplification (I like minimalism as an idea, but there are "things" that I like too, and that bring me and others joy, so I don't know if I'll ever be on the minimalist bandwagon so much that I eschew all societal things...I'm a big music fan, big arts fan, big dressing up and reading fan, etc....but I do like simple.) I've long thought that I don't want gifts for my wedding. If people feel like giving, I would rather have $ to contribute to Rising Star, or to travel with.  Lunch with some of my grad school friends today and hearing about C.A.'s experiences in India made me realize (again!) that I have SO MUCH more than I need, or even want.  Also, J.A. is an influence, I think.  I can't decide what to think about the situation, but I don't need to know right now.  I like that he likes simple, though.  And lots of other things about him.  We're similar in a lot of ways.

Simplifying isn't always easy.  For example, this post couldn't really be considered simple.  It takes time sometimes to decide what you think is dispensable at any given point in your life.  But it also gives time and the ability to notice (it's SOOOO this way with simple food preparation and consumption, too!).  For example, today I noticed and reveled in the beautiful rose that the Snows brought me for my birthday, and the wood in the kitchen cupboards is lovely.  Simple is best. And real.

I have some "birthday bylaws" that I've been thinking about and want to record in a more organized way (I have some ideas written down), and that will help me simplify and focus, I think.  Maybe I'll share them here too (as well as in my journal) when they're more coherent.

Today:
W: 138.8 (I can't get away from progress...blessed to not have gone backwards as far as I'd thought)
S: 6 hours
E: essentrics l/b
12:00 butternut coconut soup at Enliten with my grad school girls.  Wasn't hungry because of last night's binge, but the soup was good, and I didn't feel overly full.

No comments:

Post a Comment