Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Feeding the Hungry Heart

That's the title of one of Geneen Roth's books on emotional eating.  I learn a lot about myself when I read her books. I don't have a lot of discretionary reading time these days, but I'm trying to recognize why I eat when and what I do, as she advises.  This morning I ate a banana and some walnuts, not because I was hungry, but because it was breakfast time.

A couple of  hours later, I headed to the kitchen in search of something to eat.  I wasn't hungry.  Not even a little bit.  But I was stressed about homework, and wanted to procrastinate it.  I thought about all the things I could eat.  And even though some sounded pretty good, I recognized that I was just in search of relief, and that eating wouldn't provide it.  Eating when I’m not hungry doesn’t help me.  It doesn’t calm my stress and anxiety.  It doesn’t fill my lonely heart.  It doesn’t get my homework done, my fence fixed, my lawn done, flower gardens planted, or my thesis written.  I'm sure that I will stress eat again sooner or later, but I didn't this morning!

Today:
W: 139.4
E: essentrics l/b, pm yoga
B: banana and walnuts (about 8am)
L: banana, apple (about 12pm)
S: raisins and walnuts
D: banana, spring mix and dal, and more dal, and a few spoonfuls of lentils.  I could live on those things.  And I do (with a lot of greens and fruits and other legumes in the mix!)


No comments:

Post a Comment