I read a couple of pages of Geneen Roth's book Breaking Free from Emotional Eating this morning. I am such a creature of habit, and often eat emotionally too. Geneen's premise is that if we trust our bodies enough to eat when we're hungry, we'll get to the weight that our bodies need to be. I almost always eat more than my body needs, and my eating habits include eating when it's "time" to eat, and eating when I'm not hungry at all. Like this morning. So, for the next few days, in addition to writing down what I eat, I'm going to write the times at which I ate, and whether or not I was hungry before I ate. I'm going to try not eating at my regular mealtimes, and see if that helps me stay in touch with my body better.
I think that I tried not eating until I was hungry a couple of years ago, and found myself getting cranky at school, but I've RARELY been cranky when I'm hungry since I've gone plant-based, and really, if we listen to our bodies, they'll tell us what is needed, so I'm going to try it again.
I also did my cardio on the mountain today. Running and being outside is so liberating!
Today:
W: 139.4
S: 5.5
E: 30 minutes walk/run on the Bonneville Shoreline trail. I love the way the mountain smells!
8 am ish banana, not hungry.
9:30 am ish ate a couple of grape tomatoes, a bite or two of beans, a few grapes and two more bananas as I was making my lunch for the day. Wasn't hungry. I'm going to take food to campus in case I DO get hungry, but am going to try to not eat unless I am.
12:00 Felt hungry...maybe stress-related or sleep-deprivation related? but not ravenous. Ate greens, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, and chili. One of the tomatoes was from Susie and Farmer Grant and it was DIVINE! And the fresh, chopped onions totally made the salad! Blueberries, and grapes. I didn't feel over-full, and my body was happy!
5:00 Ate SOOO much. My fiesta mix, 2-3 bananas, and 3 pieces of bread with peanut butter and honey. I was eating to stay awake. Not hungry to begin with, definitely not hungry afterwards!
6:00 Ate aloo, curried veggies, brown rice, dal, and cucumber salad at Val's Bollywood night. I've got a food blister, as Father calls it. I was NOT hungry when I ate.
Maybe I need to get more sleep at night (I know I do). Maybe I need to trust my body more, and trust myself to listen to my body. I'm sort of a live-by-the-rules girl, so listening only to myself is kind weird for me. We'll see how this goes tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment