Sunday, January 29, 2012

"It's not practical"

I don't claim to have the answers to everything, or even anything really.  But it's like I used to say when I taught at the MTC and was teaching missionaries about study journals: "You don't have to do it the way that I do, but this is what is working for me right now."
ETL is working for me right now. I'm not 100% oil-free, and I sometimes eat more than one serving of carbs in a day, or a bit of sugar (graham crackers), but I'm definitely plant-based, and I LOVE IT.  I have more energy, don't get sick as often or nearly as severely, and feel just great!
I read on HH's blog today about a girl who had diabetes.  Her doctors prescribed high-protein (animal protein) and low carb, but she kept getting sicker and sicker and fatter and fatter.  Finally, a friend suggested she try a plant-based diet, which she did, and was able to go off of insulin.
When she told her doctor that she was eating a plant-based diet, and that her numbers we're improving, he said "that makes sense...we know that a plant-based diet will help reverse type 2 diabetes, but it's not practical."  She was outraged that she'd never heard about plant-based options from her doctor, and that it was "practical" to be so sick that losing her leg was a viable future for her at the rate her health was deteriorating. She'd never been given the knowledge by her doctor that she needed to make an informed decision about nutritionally healing her diabetes through being plant-based.  I think it was Dr. Esseltyn or Dr. Fuhrman that said it was ironic that people consider a plant-based diet to be drastic or impractical, but don't consider cutting themselves open in surgery to be either of those things.  Granted, there are surgeries that are necessary and aren't for something that could have been prevented nutritionally (appendicitis, bone-resettings, etc.) but there are so many heart surgeries that could be prevented if we'd just take better care of ourselves.
WITHOUT FAIL, every time I think about not doing at least a modified ETL plan forever, I hear about someone else who has diabetes, cancer or heart disease.  My body is still susceptible to disease, but I feel like Buttercup when she says "I could not bear it if you died again, not when I could save you," in that I couldn't bear getting sick knowing that there was something I could have done to stop/prevent it.



Today's stats:
W: 136.4
E: am/pm yoga
B and L: ayunando
D: couscous and ratatouille (Thank you, Momma Wright!), banana, soy milk and graham crackers




No comments:

Post a Comment