Today I found out that my old beater blew a head gasket. It would cost $1,000 to fix, and it was only $1,300 to begin with. I don't have extra money (have to refund the deposit for my roommate who is moving out and pay tuition) so I'm not going to fix it, or buy a new car yet. Beth and I went to Walmart this afternoon and I bought a bike.
A couple of days ago, my friend Sam posted that he no longer owns a vehicle. Someone asked him what he's getting, and he said "Exercise and less debt." I thought at the time that I should do something like that (knowing that my car was having problems, and wanting less debt and more exercise). Now I get to!
I've had mixed feelings about this...I'm excited to be closer to getting out of debt (I have some on my credit card, and will have to do a short term loan for tuition, and then there's the mortgage), but even though it's been an incredibly mild winter, it is still Utah, and it's still winter. I'm a creature of comfort, and this is outside my comfort zone! However, I just need to take it one day at a time. The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. My work is only 1.5 miles away, and campus is only 1.5 miles away (in the other direction), so the farthest I'll ever have to ride is on Wednesdays when I'll go from home to school, to home, to campus and back home. The grocery store is also less than a mile away, and if I have to go to the mall to meet with my committee chair, that's about 2 to 2.5 miles away from school or from home. I can do this!!
AND, here's a miracle from today: Mandy has a bike that's been sitting in her garage that she wants to give me! So I can take the bike I bought today back to the store and use hers. BENDICIONES! AND this will help me reach my goal of being leaner and stronger and getting down to my ideal weight by May 8th, which will be the one year anniversary of the first day of my Eat to Live journey. AND I've been wanting to spend more time outside and do things to help the environment, and this will help me to do both of those things.
On our way back from Mandy's house tonight, Beth rode the bike and I ran...I think we may have discovered a way that we can exercise together that will push both of us...it was great, and I had to run faster than I have for a while. (and I ran barefoot:) LOVED it!
Today's stats:
W: 141.4 (a bag of chips and 2 containers of hummus will do that to you!)
E: essentrics a/a, walk to Mandy's/run back from Mandy's, pm yoga
B: banana
L: salad: spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, palta, chili
D: several bananas, 2 spoonfuls of peanut butter
No comments:
Post a Comment