Thursday, December 1, 2011

Just because you can doesn't mean you should!

I learn so much about myself and life and my relationship with God through my job. A few weeks ago one of my students was being an absolute pain. I asked him why he was acting that way, and he said "Because I can!" I told him that he could choose to do anything that he wanted, but that he would have consequences that he didn't like if he continued. Later that day or week, I was doing something silly...watching a waste-of-time movie late at night or something parecida...and I thought of my student and thought "Just because you can doesn't mean that you should." Sometimes I do things like that on purpose, just because I can, and I can picture Heavenly Father thinking that the consequences of that because-I-can choice will not be to my liking!

In the last few days, I've consciously noticed a couple of times where I've known I could, and chosen not to do something because it wasn't something I should do. The other night I was on netflix, and thought about watching a movie, and didn't. And tonight Beth and I went by the grocery store, after going to the temple, to buy spinach for tomorrow. We went by the hummus, and of course bought it and some chips to go with it. It was tempting to eat them when we got home, but neither of us was hungry, and store-bought hummus and corn chips don't really fit into Eat to Live, and I want to do it faithfully until January 6th! So WE DIDN'T EAT IT! Hooray! Just because it's there doesn't mean it HAS to be eaten. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Today's stats:
W: 136.2 (lowest I've been since high school probably...with the possible exception of the one time I went on a crash diet for 4 days and was soooo jealous of people eating normal food)
E: yoga, 20 + minutes of Powerstrike kickboxing, essentrics a/a (I woke up at 6:30, after only 4 hours of sleep and WANTED to get out of bed just to do essentrics...LOVE it.
B: green smoothie (strawberries, banana, spinach, soy milk, agave, cinnamon and cloves)
L: green smoothie (peaches, banana, spinach, spices)
D: brown rice and dal

No comments:

Post a Comment